Saturday, June 16, 2012

I my writing life I will . . .



In my writing life I will...
  • Write the stories that speak to me: I will continue to write what nourishes and interests me first and worry about the market second.
  • Seek guidance, support, and direction when needed: I will ask questions of my agent and editor when I’m unsure or need help. I will go to other writers in the same life phase or those older and wiser when I need assistance.
In my writing life I will not...
  • Lose my love for story, kids, or words: Once you’re published, art becomes commodity. It’s not right or wrong, it just is. I want my motivation and passion to remain firmly in the place it always has been. While there are no guarantees of success in writing this way, their is much joy, and this, in the end, is more important to me.
  • Compare one book against another: I choose not to be paralyzed by comparing my titles to previous books I’ve written. Each deserves to stand alone and has its own merit. The rest of the publishing world has the freedom to compare if they choose. For me to do so is unfair to new stories beginning to form.
  • Despair: If you know me well, you know panic is a part of my writing when I’m drafting something new. I fret that I don’t know how to write or have nothing new to say. But I can’t let that panic lead to despair. Reminding myself that things always start this way keeps things in perspective. Allowing myself to play with language and ideas is much more doable than telling myself I’m writing an entire book. Choosing to nurture rather than berate gives me permission to try.
It’s my hope that holding to what I’ve processed these last few months will keep me grounded, help me grasp the deep satisfaction writing brings, and hold at bay the things that only lead to disappointment.


ME, TOO, Caroline!!!


These three posts by my friend have been incredibly inspiring. I got a chance to spend three days with Caroline during IRA at the end of April and she is the real deal in these posts. These truly are her beliefs - and mine - when I can keep the imps of fear and envy at bay, that is! 

Beautifully done, Caroline. These are truly words to live by. 

So go forth and embrace your life!

Be grateful daily for your blessings!

xo,
Kimberley


3 comments:

Shannon Hitchcock ~ Children's Writer said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm always afraid when I start a new project. And sometimes I'm afraid all of my ideas will dry up. It's comforting to know other writers struggle too.

Leslie said...

Thank you for your post and sharing your friend's thoughts. Posts like this one are very encouraging and a great reminder to all of us writers.

Leslie said...

Thank you for your post and sharing your friend's thoughts. Posts like this one are very encouraging and a great reminder to all of us writers.

MY PUBLISHED BOOKS

MY PUBLISHED BOOKS

Winner of The Southwest Book Award!

Time travel, war, love, rattlesnakes, magic . . .

Blog Archive