Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Intriguing Writing Quotes

I love good writing quotes. This one *spoke* to me this morning.

"In every real sense, a writer writes in order to teach himself, to understand himself, and to satisfy himself. The publishing of his ideas is a curious anti-climax." Alfred Krazin

The more I write, the more I'm realizing this very thing. I didn't use to analyze my own stories, I just wrote what I was interested in - like Egypt or belly dancing or silent movies or baby alligators or charm bracelets and secret notes - but now I'm finding that the emotional cores of my stories, the characters, the struggles, are things I've often gone through myself in some form (or someone I know) or they are topics and experiences I'm passionate about or want to know more about.

BUT - the other curious thing is that I often don't even realize this until the novel is finished, revised - and even published. Then I can reflect with more distance and a more clear mind and perspective. I find this really fascinating.

So I think Alfred Krazin is right.

The more I write, the more I "want" to write. I've always been a FANATIC reader, and yet, the more I write, the less I want to read and the more I want to explore my own stories and ideas and characters. I find this a fascinating phenomenon.

Anybody else experiencing this?

No comments:

MY PUBLISHED BOOKS

MY PUBLISHED BOOKS

Winner of The Southwest Book Award!

Time travel, war, love, rattlesnakes, magic . . .

Blog Archive