Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I got brave

For the first time ever I entered an online agent critique with the first page of one of my WIPs called The Death of Pharaoh Tutankhamun - for lack of anything more brilliant. But hey, maybe it is brilliant. At least everyone will know right off the bat what the story is about.

Nathan Bransford, an agent with Curtis Brown based in San Francisco (and I'm a sucker for him because he lives in my hometown) represents some great stuff, at least I discovered him through an author, Brad Geagly who writes adult novels about ancient Egypt. I read Geagley's two novels and found out who his agent was by reading the acknowledgments page - a must do if you are an aspiring author.

So Nathan is running a first pages contest with the prize being a query critique, a manuscript critique or a ten minute phone conversation with him. Winner's choice. He is very generous and received well over 600 entries! That is a WHOPPING number!

You can read all the entries on his blog where we had to post them for all the world to see. See them here.

Go here for one of his readers - and another aspiring writer - who has volunteered to do brief critiques for those entrants who want a bit of feedback. He calls himself Chro.

I'm #370 on Nathan's original post if you want to read it. Just look for my name and picture, that's probably easiest. We had 48 hours to post and the time is already up. The semi-fnalists will be chosen and then blog readers will vote on the winner. There was some great stuff posted. I am impressed.

2 comments:

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

What a great opportunity. Good luck.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Thank you, ronda!
I don't expect anything to come of it, but I do know that this particular agent loves Egyptian fiction so ya never know what will happen. Plus it was a good opportunity for me to reevaluate my first page and I think I'm going to work on it some more.

MY PUBLISHED BOOKS

MY PUBLISHED BOOKS

Winner of The Southwest Book Award!

Time travel, war, love, rattlesnakes, magic . . .

Blog Archive